Today, a company’s online presence is often as important as any brick-and-mortar storefront. But many small businesses still stumble when it comes to designing their company websites, and their image can suffer in the process.
Here are some tips to help small businesses improve their web presence while avoiding some of the most common pitfalls:
1. Keep it lively. In addition to keeping the language of your website concise, consider writing with a sense of personality. A conversational tone can make visitors feel more comfortable and willing to take interest in whatever it is you’re selling or promoting.
2. Avoid atypical fonts. Although it is vital to catch the viewer’s attention right away, don’t rely on strange or trendy fonts to do so. Stick with a standard set of fonts and let the professionalism and content of your website do all the attention-getting.
3. Stay current. To prevent your website from seeming out of touch with modern online technology, consider featuring streaming video.
4. Add a blog. Blogs serve multiple purposes. First, they add content pages to your website that should feature keywords. This is a double bonus as more pages and relevant keywords help with SEO. In addition, fresh, relevant content helps to portray your company as a thought leader. Finally, it provides another means to keep your company in front of your prospects and clients.
5. Use your own photos. In an “About Us” section, include real pictures of the people who work for your business. Stock photography can give your website a canned appearance, whereas photographs of your personnel can add a genuine touch.